See our Greedy Panda Food Blog for rice, oats and other recipes which can be cooked in your Zojirushi and Sakura.
|This book 'The Ultimate Rice Cooker Cookbook' is highly recommended by people who own rice cookers.|
Cooking perfect rice
1. First of all we always advise people to buy the very best rice they can - we usually use basmati and Thai jasmine rice for our plain white rice. When choosing packs of rice, make sure there aren't too many broken grains in there as this can sometimes cause a problem with sticky rice - make sure the majority of the grains in the pack are long.
2. Before cooking, measure your rice out into the measuring cup and transfer to a sieve and rinse under cold running water until the liquid coming from the rice is clear, the starch in the rice can often be the culprit for soggy rice.
3. Then leave the rice to drain for 5 minutes or so, to make sure all the water has run off (give it a good shake and shuffle to make sure).
4. Put the rice into the rice cooker and flatten the top of the rice pile down and fill the cooker up to the relevant line with fresh, cold water. We fill to the bottom of the indicated line rather than the top - the less water there is in the machine during cooking, the less sticky and soft the rice will be - a very precise way of doing things, but it works.
5. Once the cooker has swtiched to keep warm, open the lid, give the rice a good stir with the spatula to release any excess water and to break any clumps of rice which may have formed and then leave on keep warm for maybe 30 minutes.
Zojirushi and Sakura rice cookers should not ever produce stodgy rice...when we cook with our Zojirushi and Sakura we get perfect dry, fluffy rice as the end product. These rice cookers do not produce completely separate grains of rice as this is not how Asian rice is; by their nature these rice cookers make rice which clumps together to some extent as both Japanese and Chinese eat rice with chopsticks, so rice which sticks together is essential! The key is the thorough rinsing. If you have any questions please contact us.